Tuesday, June 14, 2011

A Million Miles in a Thousand Years...

I started reading this book today on the bus, on my way to work. It was recommended to me by a person that I think is wonderful so I figured it had to be good. I'm only 30 pages in and I'm already a fan. The author Donald Miller has written another book, a memoir, and I very much want to pick that book up as well. Right now in the book they're discussing when this memoir, Blue Like Jazz, was made into a movie. I'll be looking for that on Netflix!

Because a book doesn't translate well on film Miller has to recreate himself for the film. At first he's apprehensive about this but after thinking about it he's happy about being able to recreate himself into the person he would like to be. This struck me. He described it as making himself into this more confident man, good with the ladies, etc. He puts it like this:


"I was creating the person I wanted to be, the person worth telling stories about. It never occurred to me that i could re-create my own story, my real life story, but in an evolution I had moved toward a better me. I was creating someone I could live through, the person I'd be if I redrew the world, a character that was me but flesh and soul other. And flesh and soul better too."


I loved this because immediately wanted to do the same thing. Think about the me I want to be and make it happen, live through her, become her. This is something I will do; and not just talk about. I'll have to spell out who she'll be in the weeks to come.


It's funny, he also talks about how we don't remember our lives. We remember certain things that happen but not full detail. One of his friends resorts to writing everything down to remember his life. That's what I started this blog for. Not only to write about my journey, but to remember it later in life. I have one of the worst memories known to man. Miller says in the beginning of his book that he hopes he has a good story to tell God when he gets to heaven. That his life's stories are interesting. I hope so too.

No comments: